Lazy loading on instagram images to improve performance

lazy load can help a website that use this plugin (totally media center) to improve the general performance loading the images on-scroll only

Folks, our former Wishlist portal, where our users shared their requests and suggestions, was transferred to this forum. Youā€™re most welcome to vote, add new ideas, and leave your comments here ā€” we surely will consider them all! :star_struck:

Original Votes: 63

Original comment from Patrick transferred from the previous Wishlist portal:

Original comment from Jens Martsch transferred from the previous Wishlist portal:

Original comment from Jens Martsch transferred from the previous Wishlist portal:

Dear folks,

Thanks a lot for adding this idea and for your comments!

We do understand how needed this option is for you and Iā€™m truly sorry that we donā€™t support it yet.

Weā€™ve tried to talk this option through, however, it did appear to be more complicated than we expected. To release the lazy load function, weā€™ll have to implement a major update for the whole widget which is a very complex task.

Weā€™re not going to give up on this idea of course, and we will definitely keep trying to find maybe other ways to make this option real. But unfortunately, we cannot promise that this will be done in near future.

Iā€™m so very sorry to bring such news, and I do believe we will be able to have this option released sooner.

Thank you so much for your understanding! :pray:t2:

Original comment from Chris Freer transferred from the previous Wishlist portal:

Hello folks!

Big news is coming ā€” lazy load beta version for embedded widgets is here! :heart_eyes:

It doesnā€™t work as a built-in option yet due to a couple of unresolved matters, but you can adjust your widget manually in order to make it work :slight_smile:

To turn it on, please add the ā€œdata-elfsight-app-lazyā€ attribute to a

element in your installation code.

For example, hereā€™s how the code looks like initially:

<script src="https://apps.elfsight.com/p/platform.js" defer></script>
<div class="elfsight-app-9d3beb9e-4c72-4bd1-8ed6-c192fc9e56c7"></div>

And hereā€™s how it should look like with the attribute added:

<script src="https://apps.elfsight.com/p/platform.js" defer></script>
<div class="elfsight-app-9d3beb9e-4c72-4bd1-8ed6-c192fc9e56c7" data-elfsight-app-lazy></div>

Please keep in mind that it will work only for widgets which are not in the initial viewport (e.g. users have to scroll down at least for a little bit before they reach the widget).

Please do let us know if it worked on your end :slightly_smiling_face:

When integrated into large scale commerce ops - Adobe Commerce, Shopify, Netsuite, etc we continually get critical image optimization / bandwidth warnings as a result of your embedded app. The images being served are not optimized and slowing the site load down significantly. I cannot provide a screen shot but here is a small snippet from our Adobe Commerce SWAT tool that shows the first image. We get these warnings on all images served by your app. This is impacting page load by almost 1 second. Between IO and code overhead this is a somewhat costly app in terms of optimized bandwidth. Adopting a WebP image format would also be a good feature as well.

Report from Adobe Commerce (Magento) SWAT :
DETAIL: PROPERLY SIZE IMAGES

Description

Images on a page https://www..com/*** are not appropriately sized for cellular data to improve load time. The first image to display is Potential savings of 2,826 KiB.

The complete list of wrongly sized images are:

1 Like

@user1657 thanks a lot for your comment!

Iā€™m very sorry that our widget gives you a hard time with this issue.

At the moment, we do not optimize the images and use them in the exact form Instagram provides them on its end. However, we do have plans to store images on our end so that we can easily optimize them. Weā€™re doing our best to make it next year, Iā€™ll make sure to update you on how things are going in this thread.

Meanwhile, I recommend you try our Lazy-loading solution, which should improve the current situation. Please check this article on how to use the Lazy-loading option: How to improve PageSpeed score of a page with our widget - Elfsight Help Center

Please let me know if it worked. I really hope it will!

Surely has to be high on the list of things to improve - everyone knows pagespeed is an important aspect of a website, and this slows down the website ~1 second each page itā€™s on.

Please fix.

1 Like

Hi @Voodoo_Neon :wave:

I understand your point and agree that the page speed level is a crucial aspect for a website.

You asked about the lazy loading feature in a support ticket, and my colleague Lisa replied to your query. However, It seems like you might have missed her response.

As Lisa mentioned, we do not have such functionality for Shopify widgets. However, we recommend you to check our cloud apps here - The Best Free Widgets and Plugins for your Website (2023), instead of the Shopify one. The lazy-loading feature, described in the article, does work there.

Please note that the feature wonā€™t in fact lazy-load the images, so they appear only when one scrolls down to them, however, it hides the widget from Google Lighthouse, thus the widget doesnā€™t anyhow affect the loading speed.

If any further questions come up, feel free to let us know. Weā€™ll be happy to assist :slightly_smiling_face: