Changing names in duplicated widgets automatically

The ability to duplicate a widget is very helpful for this BUT… when you click “Duplicate”, the name of the new file that appears has exactly the same name as the original file.This can be confusing, because you don’t know if you’re working with the new copy, or if you’re editing the original widget that you wanted to duplicate. Mistakes can easily creep in, especially if you forget to rename the duplicate widget.

I want to suggest that when one clicks on “Duplicate”, that as with Finder on a Mac, the word “Copy” must automatically be appended to the new file name immediately after the user clicked “Duplicate”.

This will ensure that the user knows they are working with the new duplicate widget, and the appended word, “Copy” will also remind the user to rename the duplicate file. But if they forget to rename it, at least when they go back later, they will know which is the correct widget.

Folks, our former Wishlist portal, where our users shared their requests and suggestions, was transferred to this forum. You’re most welcome to vote, add new ideas, and leave your comments here — we surely will consider them all! :star_struck:

Original Votes: 1

Hi,

Thanks a lot for adding your idea!

I do see your point and I totally agree that a duplicated item has to have another name. We will try our best to think over this feature and implement it in one of the future updates.

Thank you for helping us!

Yes, this! Was Duplicating today and thought, oh wait, did I clicked “Edit” instead of “Duplicate”? So X’ed out and duplicated it again.

1 Like

Great point, Kate!

I’m happy that our devs are working on this one now, let’s hope we will release this option soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone :wave:t2:

I guess I finally have some good news for you!

Names in duplicated widgets now get changed automatically in our new Dashboard, and it will be available for all the users as soon as we transfer them to the new dashboard :tada:

It’s going to be a gradual process, but if you want to move to the new dashboard sooner, feel free to contact our Support Team, they will be delighted to assist :slight_smile:

1 Like