Add widget to an email

It would be great if the reviews widget can be embedded into an email easily

Folks, our former Wishlist portal, where our users shared their requests and suggestions, was transferred to this forum. You’re most welcome to vote, add new ideas, and leave your comments here — we surely will consider them all! :star_struck:

Original Votes: 5

Original comment from James Nicholson transferred from the previous Wishlist portal:

Show reviews in email signature / review request button in email signature would be great

1 Like

@Josh6 many thanks for your suggestion, I’ve moved it to another thread with a similar request :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you updated on the progress here.

Thanks a lot for your help, and welcome to the community! :tada:

This could be achieved by using an ‘HTML to Image’ module (eg. Search · "html to image" · GitHub) to pre-render an image of the widget (eg. a Badge), this way any customisations/configs and custom CSS still work. You can then overwrite that image after each review import (hourly/daily?), and host it with a CDN with a TTL setting (eg. 24 hours) to handle the client side and CDN cache invalidation.

In this way user could then embed the image in their website or emails (eg. src=“{{CDN url}}”), and it would automatically update with the latest version of the image.

This would also be cached which improves website performance… the web version could have the usual onclick javascript event to open the interactive Reviews Panel.

The current nature of the widgets has stopped us from including them above the fold on our website, due to the negative effect on Page Speed Insights (ie. due to the layout shift when the widget loads)… but by using a CDN cached image this issue would be solved!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for such an awesome comment, this is huge!

I’ve made sure to share the thread with our devs, probably it might come in really handy :slight_smile:

Thank you ever so much for such thorough comments and ideas!

1 Like